Chapter 13: Marriage and Family – Study Guide
1. What social conditions are associated with teens that have infrequent family dinners?
2. What social conditions are associated with children who take part in family dinners?
3. Define marriage. 4. Define family. 5. What is the best-case scenario in regard to conducting research on marriage and family?
6. Define courtship. 7. What is one universal element about courtship? 8. Define homogamy. 9. List homogamous characteristics of courtship. 10. How common are online dating sites and apps in the U.S.
11. Define cohabitation.
12. Discuss cohabitation patterns.
13. What is the social significance of a mangagement ring?
14. Define monogamy.
15. Define serial monogamy.
16. Define polygamy.
17. Define patriarchal.
18. Define polygyny.
19. Define polyandry.
20. What percentage of all marriages is arranged marriages?
21. What are the beneficial functions of arranged marriages?
22. Explain the social factors that produce different divorce rates between arranged and love
23. Discuss social issues associated with child brides.
24. Define covenant marriages.
25. Define endogamy.
26. Define exogamy. 27. Discuss “honor killings” in India.
28. Define neolocal.
29. Define matrilocal.
30. Define patrilocal.
1. List the basic functions of all families. 2. Define family of orientation. 3. Define family of procreation. 4. Define kinship. 5. Define extended family. 6. Define nuclear family. 7. Define blended family. 8. Discuss interracial trends. 9. Discuss characteristics of African American families. 10. Discuss characteristics of Asian American families.
11. Discuss characteristics of Hispanic American families.
12. Discuss characteristics of Middle Eastern American families.
13. Discuss characteristics of Native American families.
14. Discuss characteristics of White American families.
15. Discuss risks that single parent families encounter.
16. Discuss issues related to fostering and adoption.
17. Define childfree women and men.
18. Define DINKS.
19. Define childless women.
20. List the four commonly recognized styles of parenting.
21. Define helicopter parenting.
22. Define free range parenting.
23. Discuss how parenting styles can impact children and teens. Module 3
1. Explain how the industrial revolution had an impact on divorce.
2. What factors have sociologist identified as predictors of divorce?
3. What does the research say about the impact of divorce on children?
4. Define IPV.
5. Identify and define the four types of IPV?
6. Define child abuse.
7. Define elder abuse.
8. How do the functionalist, conflict and symbolic interactionist theorists explain the family
and its role in society?
1. Where does the United States rank on teen pregnancy when compared to other nations?
2. How can teen pregnancy be viewed as both a personal trouble and a public issue?
3. What role does television, movies, and music play in the issue of teen pregnancy?
4. How can divorce be viewed as both a personal trouble and public issue?
5. What is no fault divorce? Module 5
1. What two demographic changes have worked to reshape the family?
2. Define the sandwich generation.
3. How is cohabitation impacting the family?
4. What motivates senior citizens to cohabitate?
5. What is the Family and Medical Leave Act?
6. How does the United States maternity leave policy compare to those in other nations?
7. What role does technology play in maintaining the family?
8. What are divorceless divorces?
9. What are flash divorces?