Evaluate the importance of interdisciplinary and interagency communication and working amongst care providers
Nursing The Older Person
The aim of this module is to enable you to explore the concepts of ageing and examine contemporary approaches to person-centered nursing of older people. It will emphasize the importance of collaborative working across health and social care as well as the older person’s uniqueness as an individual by examining the impact of normal ageing on physical and psychological wellbeing together with the cultural and social influences within modern society.
Physiology of Ageing
• The Ageing Body; physiology of aging
• Normal physical ageing
• Normal psychological ageing
• Normal social ageing
Person Centred Care
• Nutrition and Hydration, Continence, Pain, Pressure Ulcers, Falls
• Dignity and Respect.
• MDT Involvement / Health and Social collaboration
• Health and Well-being / Health Promotion / Secondary Prevention
• End of Life Care / Palliative Care
Older Adults in Society
• Theories e.g. disengagement
• The Experience of Ageing: Discrimination within Society and within healthcare,
• Empowerment, Autonomy, Value and Role within society. Rights.
• The Vulnerable Adult: Abuse. Relationships: Sexuality and Intimacy
• Place of Care, Older People as carers, Health and social policy
• Government policies and the older adult, Rights in society
• Rights of the individual, Care of vulnerable adults, Multicultural issues
• Where to Care?
• Mental Health:
• MCA legislation / MHA
• Bereavement, loneliness / social isolation
• Self Harm / Suicide / Substance Misuse
• LT MH problems
please include these learning outcomes:
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the ageing process from physiological, psychological and social perspectives
psychological and social age
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of independence and autonomy for older people
3. Evaluate the importance of interdisciplinary and interagency communication and working amongst care providers
4. Identify and discuss the current issues regarding the health – social care debate.