NR717 Evaluation Processes in Population Health Paper
Evaluation Processes in Population Health
Brief statement introducing the selected practice problem
African Americans in Jackson, Mississippi, are at a high risk of developing preventable illnesses such as hypertension and heart disease because of different social determinants of health. Such factors include unemployment, low educational achievement and poverty, among others. The selected practice problem is health disparities among this population, which, if resolved, can help them enjoy optimal health.
A related Healthy People 2030 Goal that applies to your selected population and health issue.
The Healthy People 2030 goal that relates to the African American issues in solving health disparities is the elimination of health disparities, achieving equity in health and attaining health awareness to improve the health of all individuals (USDoHHS, 2021). If health inequities are resolved and care is given to all deserving populations, all people will achieve optimal health. There would not be any significant variations in disease mortality and morbidity among the different populations and races.
One evidence-based intervention to address the Healthy People 2030 goal.
For healthcare workers to address the health disparities existing in the chosen population, educating the persons on relevant issues that affect their health is essential. People with the knowledge and dynamics surrounding disease development can make effective decisions to keep their health in check (Carey et al., 2021). For instance, they can engage in lifestyle modifications like physical exercise and eating a good diet to prevent obesity, leading to a decrease in the predisposition to heart disease and hypertension.
How to determine if your evidence-based intervention was efficient, effective, and efficacious. Each of the 3 E’s addressed.
Efficacy is the ability of the implemented effort in producing the desired result. Randomized control trials can be employed among the target population to assess if it impacts the reduction in health disparities observed among the African Americans in Jackson. There should be a reduction in the prevalence of the diseases caused by health disparities common among this population. The effectiveness of a healthcare program is measured by the degree to which it improves patient outcomes based on available scientific data (Brusco & Frawley, 2019). This will be determined by collecting feedback from study participants on their health after implementing the recommended lifestyle changes. The efficiency of the recommended measures in obtaining improved health results for the population experiencing health disparities will be assessed. The lifestyle modification programs’ success will be measured by the degree to which they motivate individuals to alter their behavior (Brusco & Frawley, 2019). Participants’ attitudes about participating in lifestyle modification programs and maintaining the recommended lifestyle changes will serve as examples.
Brusco, K., & Frawley, C. (2019). Program evaluation within the research translation framework. Journal of Physiotherapy, 65(2), 63–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2019.02.010
Carey, M., Wright, T., Taler, J., & Whelton, K. (2021). Guideline-driven management of hypertension. Circulation Research, 128(7), 827–846. https://doi.org/10.1161/circresaha.121.318083
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2021). Objectives and Data – Healthy People 2030 | health.gov. Accessed on March 7th from https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data
Evaluation Processes in Population Health Discussion
The purpose of this discussion is to evaluate strategies to address your selected population health practice problem to reduce health disparities.
- Compose a brief statement introducing the selected practice problem (to remind readers of your selected topic).
- Summarize a related Healthy People 2030 Goal that applies to your selected population and health issue.
- Link (website): Healthy People 2030Links to an external site.â€¯
- Propose one evidence-based intervention to address the Healthy People 2030 goal. You may use the same study from Week 3 if it aligns with the selected Healthy People 2030 goal, or you may select another evidence-based intervention after reviewing the literature.
- Describe how you would determine if your evidence-based intervention was efficient, effective, and efficacious. Each of the 3 E’s must be addressed.
Please click on the following link to review the DNP Discussion Guidelines on the Student Resource Center program page:
- Link (webpage): DNP Discussion GuidelinesLinks to an external site.
This discussion enables the student to meet the following program competencies:
- Analyzes health care policies to advocate for equitable health care and social justice to all populations and those at risk due to social determinants of health. (POs 2, 9)
- Translates a synthesis of research and population data to support preventative care and improve the nation’s health. (PO 1)
- Leads others in professional identity, advanced clinical judgment, systems thinking, resilience, and accountability in selecting, implementing, and evaluating clinical care. (PO 1)
This discussion enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- Synthesize ethical and legal principles to advocate for value-based, equitable, and ethical health policies at the micro, meso, and macrosystem levels. (PC 5; PO 9)
- Formulate strategies for providing culturally relevant and high-quality healthcare to vulnerable and high-risk populations to address social injustice and health inequities. (PCs 7, 8; PO 1)