1. Make an appointment to interview a nurse leader Explain to the nurse leader that you are in a leadership course and want to explore the individual�s leadership role in the organization.
2. Prepare a 6 page paper not including cover and reference pages from the interview questions and the literature.
3. A minimum of 4 articles from peer reviewed journals are required. Synthesize the leadership concepts and qualities obtained from the interview. You may also use the course textbook and other text in addition to your peer reviewed articles.
4. The paper will be written in APA format ,6th Edition
a. An introduction of the leader you are interviewing (no names or places should be identified),
b. How long they have been a nurse?
c. The type of leadership style they utilize.
d. What characteristics does the leader believe are important for effective leadership?
e. What techniques does the leader use to empower their staff/colleagues?
f. Describe the findings from the interview using the literature to support the type of leadership characteristics and type of power used by this leader.
g. Summarize by reflecting on the experience and the impact this assignment may have on your future as a nurse.
I am going to provide you with 9 questions that I ask a nurse leader. The paper needs to include the answers to the question, but not the question themselves as well as concepts of leader ship that were seen in the interview and other leadership concepts. the course book ISBN is 9781111306680
1. Tell me what leadership position you have in this organization?
At one time I was a charge nurse, but right now I don�t have a formal leadership position in this hospital. I consider my self and informal leader. I try to help my fellow nurses on the floor as much as I can.
2. What formal/informal leadership positions have you held in your career?
I was charge nurse for a couple of years at a Kendall Regional Med-Surge floor, and now I have been told that I am the informal leader for the floor.
3. How long have you been a nurse?
I have been a nurse for almost 16 years. I worked at South Miami for five years and I have been working here at Kendall Regional for 10 and a half years.
4. How did your organization prepare you for your position?
The organization gave me a two-month training on the procedures that I need to know and follow in the job, but I think that the majority of the training came from experience and nursing school.
5. Describe your leadership style or your model of leadership for me?
I believe that I�m a combination of Autocratic and democratic leader. I like to involve people in the decision making of things that are going to affect them, but I also expect that when I said do this before this time that it gets done. I don�t like for people to question my orders.
6. What do you consider the most important characteristics of a nurse leader?
In my opinion the there are several things that a good nurse leader must posses. First is the ability to clearly and effectively transmit a message to a group of people or subordinates. The other is the ability to inspired people to not only do a good job because they have to but because they like the environment at whish they work.
7. You give me an example of how you empower your employees?
I correctly do not have any employees, but when I did I empower them by giving the best possible resource. When the resource that we had did not work properly I try my best to rectify the situation.
8. What advice do you have for a novice nurse /novice nurse leader?
The best advice I have a novice nurse that want to be a leader or any new nurse is do not go stray into a specialty, spend at least one year in a med surge floor. It is really going to make a difference in when you pick your specialty, a med surge floor will provide you with a broad knowledge of many different disease process that are going to help in all aspects of your nursing care.
9. Is there anything else that you would like to tell me?
Don�t blindly follow doctor�s orders just because they wrote an order does not mean that is correct. This also does not mean that 12 hours later when you got the patient that the order is still valid. Finally don�t be a lazy nurse, always assess your patient. You are the doctor�s eyes when he is not there, a nurse can save or end a life by doing or not doing an assessment.