The purposes of this assignment are to assist you to reflect on your cross-cultural communication skills and to improve your knowledge and understanding of another culture.
For this assignment, you have two options:
Option 1: Critical analysis of an interview with a client from a culture different to your own
To complete this option, you will:
• conduct an interview with a client from a cultural background different to your own (INDIAN NURSE AND AUSTRALIAN INDIGENOUS PATIENT)
• critically analyse your interview process and techniques, including reflection on areas of strength and strategies for improvement
• use a reflective practice framework eg Gibb’s (1988) Reflective Cycle Model to guide your writing
• use appropriate peer reviewed professional references (published within the last 5 years preferable) to support your points.
It is NOT meant to be a detailed description about the review of body systems. The focus of your analysis must be the various cross cultural elements incorporated or which could have been incorporated in your approaches to the interview and interview techniques rather than the actual interview content.
If your interviewee gives permission, audio or video tape your interview (with permission of course!) and use the tape to review your interview techniques and prepare your assignment.
Compare and contrast your interview techniques eg; your use of appropriate cross-cultural approaches, with those recommended in the literature and learning materials.
NB: The interview summary and analysis should emphasise the processes and techniques from a cross-cultural point of view, using literature to illustrate and support your points. In order to provide a clear analysis, compare and contrast your practice with the research-based recommendations. How did you or did you not address the research recommendations? Be explicit. Use appropriate peer reviewed professional references to support your points.
• Use your report to analyse your interview process and techniques.
• In order to provide a clear analysis, compare and contrast your assessment, with the process and techniques described in the literature. How did you or did you not address the areas and strategies in the literature? Be explicit. Use a range of literature to support your points.
• Use a reflective model to help guide you beyond superficial observations into deeper reflection on what went well, what could be improved and how you will improve your future practice.
• Refer to the marking guide below to help you structure this assignment
HEA 561 Marking Guide Assignment 2 analysis of cross cultural interview
• APA (6th Edition)referencing is the preferred system .
• More recent references/ studies less than last 6 years