What do you think the diagnosis would be for this patient?
Mrs. Smith is an 84 year old women living in a nursing care facility. She has a history of heart failure and atrial fibrillation. Her medications are daily aspirin and coumadin. Normally she is alert and able to accomplish most of ADLs independently. This morning the nurses aide came to check on Mrs Smith because shem did not come to breakfast. Mrs Smith was still in bed. She was leaning to her right side and had drooling from the courner of her mouth. She was unable to respond to verbally and the right side of her body was paralyzed. An ambulance was called and she was taken to the hospital.
1. On arrival to the ER what assessments would be a priority for the nurse or doctor to perform? Be specific in your answers.
2. What exams and lab tests would you suggest to be done and why.
3. What do you think the diagnosis would be for this patient?
4. What were her risk factor contributing to her condition?
5. Based on her diagnosis what would be your immediate concerns