2.What large categories of communications are the two critical barriers to communication which can cause difficulties in a diverse society?
3. What hand gestures does the author mention cause problems with some cultures?
4. What eye contact statistics does the author select as examples to demonstrate cultural differences?
5. How can a lack of time on the side of a communicator affect an interaction?
6. It is important that we all practice __________________ skills and learn them
7. What is ethnocentrism and how does it affect our governmental relations to the people in a community?
8. What is the difference between assimilation and cultural pluralism? Which do you think is better and why?
9. What is a large problem in immigrant communities (besides cultural differences) which causes them to not seek police help for criminal acts in their community?
10. How did the Lexington Police work within their community to reduce crime in immigrant communities?
11. What did the New York Police Department do?
12. How do prejuidice and stereotyping contribute to the barriers between people in a community?
13. What are some of the strategies practiced and suggested by the author to overcome barriers based on Racial and Ethnic Diversity?
14. Identify the problems the author mentions in the Religious Diversity section.
15. Identify the most common problems experienced by the poor in our society.
16. What is the Americans with Disabilities Act
17. List the categories of disability types the author describes.
18. Is there a connection between crime and mental illness?
19. If you are the head of a first responder agency such as the Police, fire, or Health Departments, and need to contact disabled groups in your community to educate them on disaster preparedness, how would you approach planning a campaign to contact the disabled people you need to reach out to?
20. What are some ways you could educate and reach elderly people?
21 . How can young people who have not experienced difficulties in a community help our first responder agencies?